Thursday, July 30, 2009

Pokemon vs. Digimon

This is an old debate for me. I'm 17 which means I was the proper age to get enticed into these when they came out. Sometimes a kid at school innocently mentions Pokemon or Digimon and finds themselves arguing over which one was better. I have never been decisive on this important issue. I'm an avid lover of both. "Avid" in this case really means "as much as I can get away with before hitting some sort of social stigma." I still play Pokemon games I still watch Digimon: The Movie every once in a while. Seriously, borderline obsessive sometimes. I logged like 150 hours into Pokemon Diamond. I do have an excuse for that ridiculously high numbe rhtough. Pokemon is a passive game. I leave it on, I watch TV, I attack every once in a while, it's a waiting game really. Ok, hopefully that's the end of the self-defense portion of this post. I just noticed that Digimon isn't a word according to Firefox' spellcheck. But Pokemon is. That's freking biased. Come on. I really cannot concentrate on this for some reason.

Pokemon was much more of a big deal. it's still running strong. Cartoon is still going and they're still making games. By the way, I am so psyched for the new Gold/Silver remake. Gold and Silver were my games back in the day. It's easy to call Digimon a shameless ripoff because it pretty much is. It's still a great contender against Pokemon. Both had great cartoons. Starting with Pokemon, it's the story of Ash Ketchum who want's to be the best there ever was. I really have to fight typing out the entire theme song because I'm singing it out right now. This is surprisingly common with other people I know that are my age. Seriously, we all know all of it and if someone sings one line you're going to hear the rest. It's annoying in a quaint sort of way. The cartoon was cheesy and dorky and perfect for kids. You had funny characters and blah blah blah. I don't actually remember much. Team Rocket is the only part of that show that I can still care about. Just forget about the good guys. James and Jessie and Meowth are the only things that make me want to watch that show again. Mostly James. James was awesome. The cartoon was decent but would have been absolutely terrible if not for the game, cards, and gigantic franchise behind it. Brock was cool too. I like Brock. Digimon was a better cartoon. ok, I'll make this clear now. I'm only talking about the first series for each of these. I don't care about Orange Island or Johto or whatever. I don't care about any Digimon series that take place after the movie. Digimon is a batter cartoon. It has the same cheesy dorkness but in a much more adventurous and fun package. This is surprisingly hard to describe. Ok. For TV show Digimon > Pokemon. And Digimon: The Movie is actually one of the best movies ever. Pokemon had much much better games. Even though only the main games matter. Digimon World is fun but it's no Pokemon. I collected both card games. I played neither. My Pokemon collection is bigger. I think that means it wins.

I really can't conclude this. I want to say Digimon wins but I can't bring myself to do it. Pokemon is just so vast and grand and fun. Crap. I don't even care. I just want to see Digimon on TV again. I'd watch it every day if I could.

No comments:

Post a Comment